Sunday, January 5, 2014

NYI

New Years intentions...I think resolutions feel too much like rules and I'm not really one for abiding by rules but I love the beginning of a new year to set intentions. So I'm putting them down here so I'll be held accountable...and can remind myself (sometimes I forget. sometimes daily.)

Here goes 2014, intentions here I come:

1. To be more patient, especially when walking behind a group of slow walkers.

2. Compassion. Yes I can have compassion for a child, a dog or an elderly woman crossing the street. Crazy people screaming on the subway, the loud talker at the table next to me at dinner or the person on a job who just demands attention all day long...not so much.

3. Less social media, more quality medium. Lunch dates vs text conversations. Less insta, more gradual, delayed gratification. More focus.

4. I would like to read a book. From start to finish. I have friends who read a book in a day. I'm not one of those people. I get distracted, there's tv, there's Facebook (see #3), there's magazines and oh wait, there's a pile of dust I should vacuum...

5. Using language that supports my intentions. Language is so powerful and the words we choose shape our lives & our relationships.  I want to operate on a higher lever of consciousness when I talk...which I suppose means I should use 4-letter words a little less too...

6. Realizing that laziness is just fear. I can be super motivated and move at mach-speed for a long time and then I can lose steam & become lazy. I mean full on I don't want to get off the couch L-A-Z-Y real easily. I'll sit and make a to do list that I won't get to because another episode of Law & Order just came on... and on and on...so I'm ready to face the facts: the things I avoid doing are especially the things I should be doing. Sigh.