Monday, May 4, 2015

Fresh Milk

I started making homemade almond milk right after my daughter was born (seems like a reasonable thing to do when you're completely sleep deprived) and I've been addicted ever since.  It is so easy and delicious that I make it every single day as part of my morning ritual. Here is the recipe I use but you can experiment with all kinds of flavors.

1. Soak 1 cup of almonds over night (12 hours)
2. Rinse almonds well
3. Blend almonds with 4 cups of filtered water, 1 tsp sea salt and blend until smooth and creamy.
4. Strain mixture through a metal colander, nut milk bag or cheese cloth, pour into an air tight bottle, refrigerate and enjoy!

Ideas for flavoring your almond milk:
cinnamon
dates -I always throw in about 2-3 for natural sweetness, (if your dates feel a little dry soak them in water for a bit first).
raw cacao 
strawberries