Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A True Gem

Veronica Moore has been one of my closest friends for years and I'm really happy to finally have a space to talk about her. Veronica makes handmade jewelry that will make you swoon until you fall over and when you wear her pieces you feel like the Queen of Sheba.  Not just because what you're wearing was made with intention and craft and love but because her pieces are completely one of a kind and are made of materials that come from the earth. Veronica is a fascinating woman, she was a model (she is immortalized on the cover of a Tom Jones album shot by David LaChappelle) she's designed & hand beaded burlesque costumes, her work has been profiled in Elle, W Magazine and Paper,  Most recently, Veronica's creations were worn by Marisa Monte in a recent portrait by the celebrated Italian artist Francesco Clemente. You can see more of her work on her site:


I had a chance to explore her home which doubles as her showroom & pick her brain on her creative process. 

WMW: What sparked your interest in jewelry? Was it something that you were always drawn to?

VM: I wasn't always drawn to jewelry, but as a kid I collected rocks and would arrange
      them into bracelets and necklaces. I love stones and crystals.

WMW: Has learning a different visual language (one which involves metal, gems and working with your hands) shifted the way you take in the world around you?

VM: Yes. I see the world differently because I find peace in the work. I try to 
      bring that state of mind with me outside of the work.

WMW: What do you get most excited about when you sit down to your bench to work?

VM: I get excited about a new stone, metal or tool. Or working out a new idea.
      or just sitting down to "play" with metal and see what happens.

WMW: What is your intention when you create a new piece? Do you have a muse in mind? A particular client? 

VM: When I sit down to make a piece, my intention is to make something beautiful
      that will take your breath away and/or challenge myself in the medium (which
      is wire). I am inspired by jewelry Masters such as Alexander Calder, Verdura,
      and Tony Duquette. I also get inspired by nature (color! shape!), especially
      flowers, a great gown, fairly tales, people…….I could go on!

WMW:  Do you have a favorite piece? Which one & why?

VM: I have many favorites! My go to piece is always a big bound ring. Either the
      amethyst my teacher gave to me, or this beautiful labradorite cabochon I got
      at the Tucson Gem Show.

WMW:Is there someone you would love to see wear your jewelry who hasn't yet?
VM: I would love to see everyone in my jewelry!

WMW: How do you find balance between staying inspired, creating work, marketing yourself and getting down time?

VM: I am constantly trying to keep balance. I need to be in love with my work
      so my pace is probably a bit quieter/slower than others. I also think it is
      very important to create your own joie de vivre.


I got to explore Veronica's work in her house (which is itself a gem of endless inspiration & wonder) these are just a few of her incredible pieces. All made by hand. 

Swoon away:



Veronica hand working a new piece






 The legendary Maharaja necklace





Veronica hammering some metal