Sunday, March 8, 2015

International Women's Day

I could start an entire blog based around the struggles of women in the modern world. Have we come a long way? Yes. But as most of us know that's the question of defeat and complacency. We have so much further to go.  Women are constantly held to an unattainable beauty standard (I know, I work in the business that reinforces it) judged by looks, condemned for being sexual liberated (sluts!) and reduced to being 'bitches' if they aren't afraid to ask for what they want. Anna Wintour is an icy bitch yet I've never heard Ruport Murdoch's character reduced to such terms. A woman who ages either "looks good for her age" or "has the right amount of work done" or needs to "lay off the knife". All things I hear from people on an almost daily basis. When's the last time you heard anyone discuss the way a man aged?

When I think of raising a daughter in this world I'm thrilled and occasionally terrified by the prospects and potentials for her. I know that I have so little control over the choices she will make but I want to do my absolute best to raise her to be an empowered, independent and confident woman.  Our words and actions shape our children and I feel the importance of communicating to her now (and always) that she is strong, whole and powerful just as she is. I hear too often people speaking to baby girls using words like princess and doll and theres a part of me that cringes when I hear it.  We need to be aware of our language and our conversation. Our words create and shape an environment that encourages a new generation of strong, smart, confident, body-loving girls.