Saturday, December 13, 2014

Personal responsibility.

I've been thinking a lot about the current state of race relations in our country lately and its pretty disheartening to say the least. The day the Ferguson verdict was announced I just cried. I cried all day. And then I thought, what do I have to be crying about? Am I ever going to worry that my child is going to be wrongly accused of a crime, shot for wearing a hoodie or profiled while driving? What do I really know and understand about what it means to be black in America? I don't. But to me the progress of our society (which feels creepily closer to 1950 America than what 2014 America should feel like) is for all of us to own our part. If white people can't at the very least accept that just by being white they have a privilege then I don't know that we can even start the conversation. I think we all need to check our own stereotypes (yes, I have them and they creep in when I least expect it) and start talking about the uncomfortable stuff and stop hiding behind the politeness of being PC and pretending that everything is ok. Because clearly it isn't.