Saturday, August 24, 2013

A Sacred Saturday.

Today has been one of those rare and glorious Saturday mornings when all the pieces align and the day is poised for perfection. I woke up extra early feeling rested enough to endeavor out the door to run some errands and decided instead of my usual mach paced sprint I would saunter slowly through the streets. It is THE most beautiful cloudless breezy crisp warm late summer day today & the energy on the streets is delightful. It is a New York day that makes me fall in love all over again with this city. 

I walked through the west village, stopping to observe the beauty of the sunlight, the shadows & the lush green running up and down the buildings.  Perusing the farmers market and taking in all the neighborly delights: the jogger grabbing his apple cider to hydrate after a morning run, the old woman with her walker & weekend Times under her arm, the farmers market workers exchanging laughs and engaging with their regulars. I walked down to one of my favorite old school pharmacies and lingered to enjoy the pharmacist calling out hello's to all of his neighborhood customers by first name. Then I stumbled upon a man selling vintage vinyl and out of print magazines and spent half an hour chatting about the Velvet Underground, the Rolling Stones and the merits of record players. He had a twinkle in his eye when he spoke with nostalgic enthusiasm about the "old days" that I wished we could have sat and chatted, played records and reminisced for hours more. 

Coming home to a calm,  light filled space I cooked up my fresh food & sat outside to read the September issues, take notes and ease into the day. Feeling content and restored. 

Thank you Saturday.